Hay Fever - The Facts and How to Help Find Relief

Hay Fever sucks big time!  It’s a debilitating condition for those who suffer from it.

Feeling your sinuses permanently blocked.  Congestion in the head headaches, sore red eyes & a runny nose that leaks like a dripping tap… You feel like you’ve got a head cold for weeks, sometimes months.  You could also feel fatigued – abnormally so, which is another symptom.

So what is Hay Fever exactly?   Hay Fever is caused by an allergic response to airborne substances, such as pollen. The time of year it happens depends on what seasonal substance, or allergen, the person reacts to.  Funnily enough, despite its name, Hay Fever does not mean that the person is allergic to hay and has a fever. Hay is hardly ever an allergen, and fever is not a symptom!  Its more scientific name is Allergic Rhinitis and it is very common condition in New Zealand and other countries around the world.

What causes Hay Fever? Symptoms are usually caused by allergic sensitivity to substances. 

Outdoors you could be sensitive to pollens from trees, grasses, or weeds, or to airborne mould spores.  Seasonal allergic rhinitis is more common in the spring, summer, and early autumn.

Indoor allergens, such as pet hair, dander, Dust mites a mould could be a trigger. 

Also you may have sensitivity to cigarette smoke, perfume or diesel exhaust. 

What can you do to help prevent Hay Fever? Hay fever can be very difficult to prevent because often you’re often unaware of exactly what allergen is it is that is causing your symptoms.  .

What can you do to manage Hay Fever? Treatment includes first identifying what the cause is if you can then avoiding, eliminating, or decreasing exposure to allergens (if you know what plants are causing them), You may seek medication, immunotherapy, or allergy shots

Avoid triggers by making changes to your home and to what you do such as…..

  • Keep windows closed during high pollen periods; use air conditioning in your home and car.
  • Wear glasses or sunglasses when you are outdoors to keep pollen out of your eyes.
  • Use “mite-proof” bedding covers to limit exposure to dust mites and a dehumidifier to control mold. (If you smell mildew, you likely have mould).
  • Wash your hands after petting any animal and have a non-allergic person help with pet grooming, preferably in a well-ventilated area or outside.

You can take medications to help the symptoms, but they won’t clear Hay Fever up entirely.  You can purchase over the counter decongestants, antihistamines (eye drops and oral medication) or nasal sprays like Flixonase or Livostin – these are often steroid or full of chemicals.  If you want something natural, less harmful long term you could try our popular Natural Sense Nasal Colloidal Spray.  Many people have said this works effectively after a couple of days of using it, even more so when you take 1 teaspoon a day internally.   You can also use the Colloidal Silver eye drops for relief for ‘scratchy’ eyes effectively too.   Both of these Natural Sense products have a 1 year shelf life unlike the 30 day shelf life of other similar ‘over the counter’ products .

If your Hay Fever is severe, it may be time to visit an allergist to help identify what your triggers are and for prescription medications, which may be more effective.

If you know anyone with Hay fever, you may like to direct them to this blog for some information and tips..

I hope this helps you understand how Hay fever works J                                     Michelle Facer, HealthGiving